Monday, December 22, 2014

Just Say “No”


At this time of year we are so busy with our everyday life, the holiday’s, friends, family, events, etc.  It is also a time of year for giving and most everyone tries to give back in some way by volunteering, donating, etc. Sometimes the best thing we can do is just say no and realize we are only human and can only do so much or spend so much for our own wellbeing.  Say it nicely, and don’t give it a second thought, you owe this one to yourself.  The following suggestions on easy ways to say no came from Christine Carters article.  Hope you all have a happy, safe, and fun holiday week.

1.  Just No: “Thanks, I’ll have to pass on that.” (Say it, then shut up.)
2.  Gracious: “I really appreciate you asking me, but my time is already committed.”
3.  I’m Sorry: “I wish I could, but it’s just not going to work right now.”
4.  It’s Someone Else’s Decision: “I promised my coach (therapist, husband, etc.) I wouldn’t take on any more projects right now. I’m working on creating more balance in my life.”
5.  My Family is the Reason: “Thanks so much for the invite, that’s the day of my son’s soccer game, and I never miss those.”
6.  I Know Someone Else: “I just don’t have time right now. Let me recommend someone who may be able to help you.”
7.  I’m Already Booked: “I appreciate you thinking of me, but I’m afraid I’m already booked that day.”
8.  Setting Boundaries: “Let me tell you what I can do…” Then limit the commitment to what will be comfortable for you.
9.  Not No, But Not Yes: “Let me think about it, and I’ll get back to you.”
(Renee’s list is from her book The Mother’s Guide to Self-Renewal.)
10. I am all Maxed Out: “I just have more on my plate than I can handle right now, but I really appreciate you asking.


What is your favorite way to say no?

No comments:

Post a Comment