Most banks take these same steps as American Express
In an effort to safeguard your information, American Express helps to actively protect and monitor your account in multiple ways. If our monitoring systems detect signs that your Card or your identity may have been compromised, we will take measures to monitor your account and/or we may contact you.
At American Express, we take various measures to help ensure the safety and security of your online account(s), for example:
• Self-Selected User ID and Password When you sign up to manage your account, American Express will ask you to create your own User ID and password that you’ll use each time you access your account online. This confidential information is automatically encrypted during transmission using 128-bit encryption technology.
• Secure Website for Servicing your Account We use 128-bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology for secured transmissions online. This means that when you are on our secure website, the sensitive data transferred between you and American Express is encrypted.
• Automatic Time-Outs For your safety, we automatically log you out after 10 minutes of inactivity and require you to log in again to re-access your account on AmericanExpress.com. This prevents you from accidentally staying logged in on a public device beyond that period of inactivity.
• Email Confirmation of Password Recovery American Express will send you an automatic email confirmation request when you try to recover your password. If you received such an email and did not try to recently recover your password, call us at the number on the back of your Card.
• Personal Security Key The Personal Security Key is one of several authentication measures we can utilize to ensure we are conducting business with you, and only you, when you contact us for assistance. If you would like to set up or change your existing Personal Security Key, simply call us at 1-888-654-0019.
American Express takes various measures to help protect your Card from fraudulent use for example:
• Pre–Purchase Verification When you use your American Express Card to make a purchase, you may be asked to provide your billing zip code and/or security code printed on the face of your Card. American Express uses this information to help confirm that it is you using the Card and that the Card is authentic.
• Monitoring Your Account for Suspicious Transactions American Express has monitoring systems and controls in place to detect fraudulent activity and help protect your accounts from misuse.
• Irregular Account Activity Alert If we detect a questionable transaction on your account, we will take measures to monitor your account and/or we may contact you to verify its legitimacy. Phone calls are generally attempted, however most verifications can also be conducted electronically, and in some cases within minutes, though use of our digital tools. Card Members may opt to receive text messages or Push Notifications through the American Express mobile app available for Apple or Android smart phones, and can receive emails or log in to our secure website to resolve.
• Account Alerts Stay in control of your accounts with Account Alerts, which notify you via email or text messages about payments, spending and potentially fraudulent activities. Click here to enroll in Account Alerts.
Communicating with Us Online
Below are some examples of how we take steps to let you know that a communication is legitimate and also help ensure that you can securely communicate with American Express.
• Personalized Email Communications Nearly every email you receive from American Express related to your account will contain your first and last name and the last few digits of your account number. If you receive an email regarding your Card account that does not contain this information, it may be fraudulent. If you are concerned about the legitimacy of an email from American Express forward the email email@example.com so we may take the appropriate actions.
• Secure Online Chat Experience American Express offers a secure online chat on AmericanExpress.com if you have questions while on our website. To help ensure you are talking with American Express, start the chat by:
Logging into your online account
Clicking the "Contact Us" link on your Account Home